Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Blog is Back!

You heard right, folks. I'm hitting the road again for three more weeks of digital photography, drunken philosophy, and dim-witted philandery! My travels in 2007 will take me to such exotic locales as Barcelona, Berlin, Hamburg, and Amsterdam. After ten months with my roughest batch of fifth-graders yet, I earned it.

And as always, you are welcome to come along for the voyeuristic ride!

(In case you're wondering why I'm not continuing this under the atlonderey banner, it's because of my trademarked lack of foresight. Plus, BarBerBurgerDam just didn't have the same ring to it. Hopefully this new name will have wider scope, and therefore wider appeal. After all, could you be getting any more of me?)

So how did the europia begin? Well, some of you may know my buddy Ian (name unchanged because I don't care) who works for a lady so frickin' cool, she lets him telecommute from anywhere in the world. (Check out his adventures here.) Currently, he's in Spain, and when I asked, in my characteristically uncouth way if I could come stay with him, he replied, "Well, OK, but you have to promise we'll go someplace else, like maybe Amsterdam."

Needless to say, we were able to come to an agreement. We're playing fast and loose with the itinerary, counting on penzioni and hostels (hopefully the kind WITHOUT lunatic murderers) as well as the weakening of the Euro to get us through.

As always, I guarantee you the gonzo truth as I see it, which may or may not be how it happened.

The plane leaves on June 7th, putting it one week away.

Are you excited?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am greatly excited.

Anonymous said...

Very!

Unknown said...

One way to avoid bruised elbows is to get window seats on the planes. You'll just have to make a nuisance of yourself and make the aisle person get up to let you out for your cabin jaunts. I have never traveled to Europe so I haven't ever been on anything longer than a 5 hour flight. I usually have a layover to get the cheaper fares when I go to New York so I don't even do more than 3 hours now. That's usually what I do on the way to Cancún. So you're abandoning the intersession class 3 days early. Will you be here to do the ever necessary 5th grade planning day? You wouldn't want to miss that would you? I'm sooo looking forward to the 4th grade planning day and missing a day of intersession pay. I wish I had a trip planned. My pay will be going towards paying off my debt. The farthest I may be going will be to Cave Creek, Arizona near Phoenix. But that 's a maybe. More likely I'll drive somewhere in SoCal for my big vacation after intersession is over. I'll be lookong for your blog. Hope I find internet cafés wherever I'm going.
Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

I will be the blond guy waving to you from a few thousand miles down as your transcontinental flight passes over CT. Do you stop over in NYC? How long is your layover (that's what she said)? I look forward to living vicariously through you this summer!

Dara said...

I agree with Jonny. I think you should have a stopover in NYC to start your drinkingfest out properly - and so I can see you, you sweet lovemuffin. If my selfish proposal is not realized, at least make sure to hit La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona (truly amazing) and the Grasshopper in Amsterdam (the little one, not the big touristy one)... and have an extra spacecake for me. In fact, have two.

-Dara

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Europe. Yuk it up in Denmark, Spain, Frog-town. Sure do whatever it is Europeans do. Have some loose sinful sex with those chain smoking blackdress harlots. Colonize Africa. Integrate with yourself monetarily. Whatever.
But one fact will be inescapable, wherever you may go on that glorified Penninsula of Asia -- no country, not one of them, has a higher ratio of toilet seats than the good old U S of A. Some of them, even the good countries, are barely cracking fifty percent, and I dont think there is a one of them, if toilets with and without seats were political parties represented in a legislative chamber in proportion to their prevalence throughout the country, in which the seated toilets could break up a fillibuster of the unseated toilets.
And thats the goddamn truth Max.

Anonymous said...

Should read "higher ratio of toilet seats to toilets."

I regret the error.

Flinger said...

PS
Are these post titles leading us inexorably toward "and there's gunna be trouble" or what, n' shit?
-Joel

Anonymous said...

$2006.17 - dv