Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Currywurst!



So the story goes that this German POW returned home after the war raving to his wife about these delicious spare-ribs he had eaten in the States. Being the resourceful German hausfrau that she was, she cooked up a sausage, cut it into bits, slathered it in ketchup, and sprinkled it with curry powder, and a Berlin favorite was born! As you can see, we are enjoying ours with pommes frites and a generous helping of mayonnaise.

What's that you say? How does it taste? Pretty much exactly like you'd expect, only much much better. I mean what's not to love?

When we returned, Ian went back to work, and I tried to socialize in the common room, bu there was something too surreal about being in Berlin watching The Producers, so I went out to play ping pong with some of the other kids. When it got too dark and windy, we came back in and they were watching The 40 Year Old Virgin. Good stuff, but why were there points when Ian and I were the only ones laughing?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I love currywurst. Actually, there's a book called The Invention of Curried Sausage. It's quite good, although perhaps not so historically accurate...

Anonymous said...

Were those some kinda CRAZY foreign cigarettes? Or average Camels? Do they say "American Blend" there? Do they smoke them differently? How do those crazy German's do it!! I hope you at least try some of the native smoke. Oh, I guess that's the last leg of the trip....

m@x said...

Um, if by "differently", you mean, "anytime, anyplace, and constantly," then yes, they smoke "differently" here. I haven't really had any German tobacco (is that even a thing?) here, and the American brands don't taste the same, so to fit in I've been enjoying Gauloises Blondes (they're French, bitch).