Thursday, June 14, 2007

Walking is overrated...



Ian and I began our day with an authentic Czech lunch of pork, chicken, some more chicken, dumplings, and beer at a café on the Charles Bridge, overlooking the lovely Vltava River.



Then, since Ian shuns any kind of organized tourism, we wandered our way through Jewish Town, Old Town Square, and Wenceslaus Square (yes, THAT Wenceslaus), so your guess is as good as mine as to what these pictures are of, but I thought the buildings were pretty.





This is a cool astronomical clock. Anybody who knows how to read it, please email me. My nearest guess is it is half-past Gemini.







Eventually we found ourselves in a beautiful park named Navlickovy Sady (not really, but this keyboard won't make the crazy letters they have here. What the hell does a c need an umlaut for?), where we stopped to rest our weary bones.



This all used to be vineyards, and some still exist.




The view from the park.



After much hoofing back to the hostel, our dogs were barking, so we decided to go on a pub crawl through old town, where Ian insisted I engage his weird feudal lord fantasies.




I tried to get in on the act, but I just can't take state-sponsored slavery seriously in any context.



At one of the pubs we tried to get all absinthe-y again, and the bar staff had a good laugh at the two clueless Americans, but they prepared it exactly the same way as we had done it, so clearly they didn't know how to make it smoky either. Maybe it's the brand...

Anyways, the night wore on, and I wish I could tell you everything that we did, but discretion (and selective amnesia) forbids it. Let's just pretend we capped the night off with a carriage ride.



Isn't that nice?

No comments: